Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ask Dr. Moles: What does being an orthodontist mean to you?

Very early in my career someone said to me that being an orthodontist is like being a "slow-motion plastic surgeon." And as I think of it that is exactly what I feel it is. I have the chance to make life-changing differences for people. I mean things that not only make them look better, but that translates into them feeling better about themselves. And if you buy into the concept that how we feel about ourselves has an effect on our overall stress level, and thus our immune system, the possibility for making a difference in someone’s life is amazing!

Even as a youngster, I had always been a "helper" in some way or another and this profession fits nicely into my personality type. Moreover, as a kid I was a pretty good artist and model maker, and in that way orthodontics is really more of the same. I feel that I am really blessed, because orthodontics is like doing a hobby that you love and that someone pays you to do. So what could be better, doing something that's fun, helping people become healthier and to feel better about themselves. And at this time in my career, I am even able to share over thirty years of learning with the newer members of our profession, which is really gratifying and a lot of fun too!

-- Dr. Moles

No comments: